Tuesday 8 March 2016

2inspire Inspirational Woman: Ronke Adeyemi, Editor of BrownBeautyTalk.com


Ronke Adeyemi is an esteemed journalist, lifestyle & beauty blogger and marketing expert whose years of experience inspired her to develop the successful website, dedicated to women of colour, BrownBeautyTalk.com. Read our interview with her and learn more about her incredible journey.

Please tell us what is a typical business day for you?
Wake up, grab my phone check emails, social media etc. Listen to the radio to get the morning news, shower, have breakfast. My day depends on what meetings and events I have scheduled. If I am at home I work on content in my home office or in a local cafe. I write posts, schedule posts, commission, request interviews and images from PRs. I also schedule a lot of the social media too. If I am out at events I work on the go. I tend to have meetings with PRs and press days to attend.

What made you start the business and how did you get started?
I saw a gap in the market for beauty for a platform for Women of Colour and decided to make it happen. We started with the Twitter discussion and then the natural progression was the website. It has been a really exciting journey. 


What would you say has been your greatest accomplishment in the business world to date?
Keeping up the consistency of the brand. It is something people often comment on; we publish our posts three times a day and the Twitter discussion always starts at 8pm every Sunday. Reliability is something that as a brand we pride ourselves on.

What has been your biggest challenge in business so far?
Getting to grips with all the techie stuff. I had to learn how to design a website from scratch. Also keeping up to date with new social media platforms such as SnapChat and Periscope.


What are your future plans for the business?
To extend the brand, I have quite a few plans which I am working on at the moment.

If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?
Make sure I have a three year plan with some serious investment behind me. There are so many avenues that I could go down with for brownbeautytalk but they obviously require a lot of funding.

Why is it so important to inspire young women in particular to follow their dreams?
This type of inspiration will encourage them to never give up and follow their gut instinct. 
It will also allow them to ignore the negative people.


What advice would you give to somebody who wants to start a business in your industry?
Find a niche - a USP that makes your brand stand out and network, It really is about who you know. 

What is your favourite inspirational quote?
Just Do It!



Follow on Twitter
Follow on Instagram 

Follow #brownbeauty every Sunday at 8pm (BST). The Twitter discussion that covers beauty issues that affect women of colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment