Friday 21 June 2013

2Inspire Business Profile: Hannah Oyewole - Business Woman and Author

In yet another inspirational interview we meet Hannah Oyewole, an entrepreneur and author who started the Young Ladies Club as a means of giving young women a platform to motivate and encourage them to live exceptional lives. Hannah is an example of what happens when we believe that nothing is impossible.


Please tell us what is a typical business day for you?

A typical business day for me would consist of planning, business meetings and focusing on business strategy for the next level of my organisation.

I wake up really early in the morning and start my day with prayer, meditation and positive affirmations. I really like to get a real balance and focus of my day before I jump into my schedule. I have a good wholesome breakfast so that my mind is powered for the day.


I then start to go through my emails and see if there is anything that needs to be attended to urgently. Often times I have a few business meetings throughout the day that relate to business growth and strategy.


Once my meetings are finished I go through my plan that has been set for the day and carry out any duties that are required of me. I actively check social media throughout the day particularly Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for both HannahOyewole.com and Young Ladies Club. This allows me to gain an understanding of the needs of the core target market.



What made you start the business and how did you get started?


I started the organisation Young Ladies Club which is a platform to inspire
and encourage young women ages 16-25 in the areas of; Entrepreneurship, Employment, Education and Personal development. I recognised through research that each area mentioned is fundamental to almost all young women’s growth, so I wanted to start up a company that supported this. Young Ladies Club carries out a wide stream of events and seminars that deal with each area successfully.


I started up Young Ladies Club because I had a passion for helping young women particularly in the areas mentioned above. I studied Business Management for four years at university and instantly knew that I had a passion for business and entrepreneurship. I also had to go through the exam process several times at university and having achieved a first class honours, I realised the need for education and the need to help others achieve the degree grade they desired. Regarding employment, I worked within the employability department within my university during my placement year. This opened my eyes to the different career paths and directions that young women could take after university. Lastly personal development was something that I was exposed to from the age of 19. It really strengthened me and demonstrated the importance of developing yourself and your mind.


What would you say has been your greatest accomplishment in the business world to date?

I believe that my biggest accomplishment to date in the business world was my business partnership with Microsoft. I had the opportunity through my organisation Young Ladies Club to host an employability seminar in June 2012 with Microsoft. Due to the success of the seminar, Microsoft decided to provide Young Ladies Club with a bigger platform to host the first ever Employability Conference within their headquarters in Reading. This was a huge accomplishment as many young women learnt a lot throughout the day including having their CV’s checked by members of the HR team within Microsoft.



What has been your biggest challenge in business so far?


Some of the biggest challenges I faced in business was during the initial start-up stages.

Gaining finances as initial capital within the business was difficult and also making major decisions to move the business forward.

Although these were initial challenges through perseverance and determination I managed to overcome these obstacles. As the business has moved forward there are still bigger decisions to make and more learning to do. However I have recognised that this is part of the territory so I have become accustomed to it.

I believe that as long as an individual has a strong desire and a willingness to succeed they can turn their challenges into stepping stones.

What are your future plans for the business?

My future plans for the business is expansion. I believe that expansion comes with growth and also an opportunity to learn. I think it is very fascinating to start something from the grass root stages and build it up organically.

If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?

I like this question and I have had it a few times, honestly I believe that if I have the opportunity to do it all over again and alter things, I would not be the person I am today. The past lessons and mistakes are what have helped shape me until this day. However I believe that looking forward into the future, I would place a bigger emphasis on review. I believe that the process of review is not only important in business but it is important in life also.


Why is it so important to inspire young women in particular to follow their dreams?

I believe that it is important to inspire young women because I am a young woman so I more or less have a natural instinct to help people who I can relate with more. I believe that the future is bright for young women and women as a whole. More and more women are leading top organisations and taking on the challenge of starting their businesses. I believe this is absolutely fascinating and it is something that I am very passion about.

I believe that writing my new book ‘ I Dare You’ has provided me with an even bigger platform to influence people in my generation both male and female.


What advice would you give to somebody who wants to start a business in your industry?

I would advise the individual to conduct a lot of research so that they know what the expectations of their target market are. I believe that knowledge is power and you can only do what you know, so lots of research and the ability to get around a good network of people who are already in business would help the individual soar!


What or who inspires you in business and why?

One of my biggest inspirations in business is Mary Kay, although she is no longer alive, I still admire her passion and her work ethic. I also admired her principles which were to always put God first. She inspired a lot of women and provided them with the ability to gain financial freedom through economic empowerment which is what I aim to do in my life.


What is your favourite inspirational quote?

“When the going gets tough the tough get going”.

If you want to win you must be able to withstand tough times and just keep moving on! I believe that is why that is my favourite quote.


Twitter: @hanoyewole 

No comments:

Post a Comment