Tuesday 16 April 2013

2Inspire Network Business Profile: Simply Kayo


In this business profile we meet Fikayo Giwa, founder of Simply Kayo a luxury events planning business. Read about her fantastic business journey and what inspired her to start her business.


Please tell us what is a typical business day for you?
My days are pretty varied. I start off by checking my emails which usually leads me online checking out blogs, various websites and of course twitter. I prefer to do research and more detail oriented work during the day and then brainstorming concepts and creative things in the evening.


What made you start Simply Kayo and how did you get started?
I discovered that I was interested in events during University as president of the African Caribbean society and also planning various family weddings and showers. At the time I was too scared to turn my passion into a reality. It took almost 4 years before I had the nudging that I could not ignore, then a friend asked me to plan her wedding and Simply kayo was officially born.


What would you say has been your greatest accomplishment in the business world to date?
That’s a tough one. Simply kayo is still young so I look forward to great business success in the future, however I am very proud of every event that we work on. I feel particularly proud when clients and guests give us great feedback. It makes everything worth it.


What has been your biggest challenge in business so far?
My first event was a steep learning curve because it was fairly big with lots of details. But it was thoroughly enjoyable because I learned so much in that space of time. I think it is also challenging learning not to take some things too personally and basically developing a thick skin. It’s essential in business and I am still working on that.

What are your future plans for the business?
I want to continue planning and coordinating great events for great people. I am interested in corporate events, so I’d like to work on these in the future. I get ideas all the time, most of which I can’t share so prematurely, but definitely watch this space.


If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?
I would have interned with an established and successful event planner prior to officially starting Simply Kayo.



Why is it so important to inspire young women in particular to follow their dreams?

I am fortunate enough to have a group of female friends full of entrepreneurs or ‘boss ladies’ as we fondly call ourselves. It is the most wonderful thing when you have like-minded women you can brainstorm with, offload to and also advise. I am particularly passionate about inspiring and educating young girls so that they can aspire for more and believe that they are capable of greatness. It is even better whilst on your journey to have other women rooting for you the whole way.


What advice would you give to somebody who wants to start a business in your industry?
Know your craft! Learn as much as you can about the industry, your client group and stay up to date with new trends and ideas.



What or who inspires you in business and why?
My mother inspires me. She has always been entrepreneurial and I think that’s

where I got the business bug. From a young age I have always seen my mum come up with business ideas (big and small) and turn them into successes. Because of my mother I have never doubted that I could achieve anything I set my mind to, with God and with hard work.



What is your favourite inspirational quote?
There are too many to choose from but one thing that is key for me is maintaining the right attitude so I like, “I've got nothing to do today but smile.” ― Simon and Garfunkel





Contact Details
Fikayo Giwa

info@simplykayo.com

UK - 020 3239 0506

Nigeria - 0809 244 8199

@SimplyKayo

www.facebook.com/simplykayo

www.pinterest.com/simplykayo



No comments:

Post a Comment